Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Too Close for Comfort

B's company (a major software company in the US) has taken cost-cutting measures to a new level....

He checked into a hotel for a company "team building" meeting. In the US, this meant that on a couple of occasions, he would have to share a room with double beds with another male colleague. The German equivalent of sharing a room, is that he has to share a queen size bed with someone other than myself. The German version of a queen bed is like two twin beds within one frame, and I am not feeling very comfortable with this. B says, he is taking it with a sense of humor.

I just feel like it's a total invasion of personal space and oversteps certain boundaries... This is so different from boy scouts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That seems so strange for an American company. I can think of a thousand things that would make this uncomfortable for people - snoring, medical or religious issues, just to start. I guess you (and he) can hope for separated twins.

Given the unlikelihood of the situation changing, his attitude is probably for the best.

American in Oberursel said...

Hi Annonamoose,

Happy 4th of July. I wonder what they do in other countries and companies that also have team building events and far smaller budgets. Are team building events a thing of the past anyways? I don't think I have ever been to one that resulted in much anyways.

Anonymous said...

I agree. That is a little too close for comfort. On a recent team building event we got to pick a roommate if we wanted to help save money for the company. I shared with a colleague (he's also American) and we had 2 twin beds.