Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

1 Punkt für Mich

We've come up with a simple game to force us to speak German at home and train our ears for what's to come. It's total immersion from this point foward! Any time either one of us speaks English, a point is counted against us. The one who accumulates the most has to complete a chore as determined by the winner.

Along with the language immersion, I'm doing culinary immersion :-) Tonight, we'll have brats and sauerkraut. Ok, the American part will be a sweet potato on the side. And only because I'm eating as many sweet potatoes and pumpkin ahead of our move as I can. It's something that I don't think will be readily available over there.

Gracie's health continues to decline. She sleeps most of the day. She was awake for a little while this morning and we caught a glimpse of the "old Gracie" but it didn't last long.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hate to disappoint ... but there are indeed sweet potatoes and pumpkins here. I get sweet potatoes at the health food store or at ethnic shops.

One thing I haven't seen is canned candied yams. But I haven't really looked.

American in Oberursel said...

Molly, can I find canned pumpkin over there? I really want to make pumpkin pie around Thanksgiving.

Martina said...

Ein Punkt Abzug: you would *never* refer to Bratwurst as "brats" in Germany :-)

I'm (obviously) not Molly, but I've never seen canned pumpkin over here, but the stores sell fresh Hokkaido pumpkin which can be used to make pumpkin pie.

And obviously, stick a few cans of pumpkin in your household goods, they should have a shelf life of a few years, right?

Yay on the total immersion, but if you're going to be totally immersed, shouldn't you be posting in German.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

http://www.english-shop.de/libbyscannedpumpkinpiemix425g-p-889.html