Saturday, November 8, 2008

Saturday, November 8, 2008



German Sushi

We ran out to get groceries at the Real supermarket today. Supposedly, Real used to be Walmart in Germany. I was really hungry for sushi. Whole Foods in the US carried a nice brown rice variety.

The above picture is what I found. I love the soy sauce in the fish-shaped bottle and the Wasabi packet on the side. I had already squeezed some of the soy sauce on the sushi before I took the picture. Note the German compound word for wasabi preparation on the green packet. Gotta love those compound words.

In the US, I have seen the ginger and wasabi placed on the side with the fake little green grass clipping. Ginger was either pink or white. The German wasabi was more mustard-colored and stronger in taste while the ginger slices were much milder. The peapod strapped to one of the rice rolls is a good indicator of freshness.

1 comment:

over the pond said...

Yes, it may be different in taste and its shape with Japanese Sushi. I also started living here in Oberursel with my wife from Jan'09 (Japanese couple). So much stuff to know around here.