Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Stuttgart



We were near Stuttgart where B had a two-day meeting. I wanted to see a friend of mine but had to cancel last minute because I developed a sore throat and didn't want her or her 4-month old baby to catch whatever cold I seemed to be developing.


I ventured into Stuttgart and I couldn't believe how hot the day was - 31 degrees Celsius, phew! Luckily, the hotel room was air conditioned. It seemed as though a lot more people spoke English on the S-Bahn than what I have heard going into Frankfurt.


I wanted to take pictures of the beautiful fountains on the Schlossplatz and noticed that I forgot to put my memory card back into the camera. Luckily, a Saturn store (the equivalent of Best Buy) just opened nearby and I purchased a 2 GB SD memory card for close to 10 Euros. It's always good to have a spare card around.


The main pedestrian area is down the Königstrasse and it was nice to sit in the shade of a Cafe Schlossblick umbrella eating a big salad for lunch and drinking a cool "Orangenschorle" (orange juice mixed with mineral water). I was pleasantly surprised to see that the beverage was served in a tall (0,4 l) glass with ice cubes. I was expecting an itty bitty glass which I remembered from Germany trips in the past. I guess things are being super-sized in Germany as well.

A good 360 degree view of Stuttgart is available at no charge from the main train station tower. I could have visited a whole bunch of museums and expositions but the weather was too nice to be inside.

1 comment:

C N Heidelberg said...

Wow, only 10 EUR for a 2GB card?? Cool! We just paid something like $30 for one in the States - the in-laws were with us and thought that was a good price.