Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Melancholy

I have my moments lately when I miss family and friends. Now that all the initial excitement has worn off, the dust has settled and the paintings are hanging on the walls, I have time to think about the things I miss most.

Fortunately, some family members have already announced their visits. I have to think of ways to fill up the time until then. I am so grateful for having the women's club activities to get me out of the house. And I am finally driving. Yes, the company car was delivered last week and it's awesome. It's a BMW 1 Series - it requires no keys to open or start it, and it memorizes the individual mirror settings for B and I. I still make a point of walking 2km every day but having a car is a huge improvement.

I went on a job interview last week for a part-time position. I was surprised they even called me in because I don't have a work permit. But it turned out what they were looking for and what I expected from the advertised position were two completely different animals. The work permit issue didn't even seem to faze them so my guess is that around the Frankfurt area it's pretty easy to get a work permit as an American.

Speaking of animals, I miss the graham cracker circus animals. Other products I miss from the US: plain Cheerios, Aveeno Body Moisturizer, Advil in giant bottles, EZ-Off Oven Cleaner (think potent, grease-cutting chemicals). B misses boxed mixtures like couscous and boxed rice dishes and the variety of frozen mixed vegetables available in the US.

I guess there is a low point every expat hits along the way. Today is just one of those days...

2 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

Those days happen now and again. :/
I just had the same problem last night with the frozen vegetables!! Why do the mixed ones always come with a glob of butter goop in there?? I don't want that in my recipe! If I wanted butter I could just add it myself. I have to pick out the butter chunk and lose some vegetables with it!
I just made a couscous recipe the other night that wasn't bad - couscous, green onions, green and red bell peppers, curry powder...it's almost as easy as a box mix. :)

American in Oberursel said...

CN,

have you noticed how some of the frozen vegetables like red cabbage and spinach are packaged in "bite-size" portions so you don't have to thaw out the whole package at once? Brilliant! Yeah, the butter thing is a bummer. I find, I shop every other day because fresh vegetables don't keep as well here.